Monday, March 16, 2009

Whisky is the Irish Devil! & Award Thank Yous...

How about some Irish humor before we partake of our favorite food, reads, whisky or some green beer!

What is an Irish seven course meal?
A potato and a six pack...okay now I hope you are laughing right now...let' try this one...




A Texan rancher comes to Ireland and meets a Kerry farmer. The Texan says : "Takes me a whole day to drive from one side of my ranch to the other." The Kerry farmer says: "Ah sure, I know, sir. We have tractors like that over here too."

My mother made a good corn beef and cabbage now and then as I grew up, but I discovered there is nothing like taking the left overs and making 'Corn Beef Hash' with a good ole egg on top. We also love to eat it for breakfast in unique eateries on our travels. That is where I ran across the most delectable dish of hash I had ever had in my life! It was sweet with a flavor I knew, but could not put my finger on. I asked the waiter if he could get the recipe for me. I was only a traveler that lived half way across the country, so would I be imposing? Yes...the waiter told me he said it was on the menu...NOT! I walked away a little annoyed with envy for that wonderful eating experience. From then on I decided that is it I will share my recipes with whomever shall ask...

So after we left the small whole in the wall, I realized 'were close to Canada', it dawned on me...'It was Maple Syrup I kept tasting'!















Drunken Irish Hash


1 bottle of the best Irish Whisky in your cupboard (4 shots for the recipe, the rest for me!)
1 3.5 pound truly Irish Corn Beef (leprechaun is the clue), leave pickling seasoning as it retains the true corn beef flavor along with slight sweetness
1 quart to just cover the corn beef, stock
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup light brown sugar
salt/pepper to taste
1 tablespoon garlic










First blanch the beef in cold water bath to medium high simmer; skim the riff raff off the top, simmer for half hour; back into stock and boil for an hour with whisky, garlic, brown sugar, and syrup, s/p...After that last hour add potatoes, carrots, onions and give it a go for another hour, or until tender to slice. Chop it all up and then throw in the skillet with a little oil to brown the next day for breakfast, or lunch...hell dinner! Top o' the mornin' eggs, along with a green beer and your off to a good start o' the day ladies and lads...

Personally, I think that Green Beer and Corned Beef is a better deal than corned beer and green beef…but there ya go…

Also I would like to thank some people, and those I have forgotten for their awards!

Donna-FFW @ My Tasty Treasures (the life and times of a sexy Irish Pirate-FFW)
Jennifer @ Savor The Thyme (eating your words inspiration)
Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen (I aspire to be like her in many ways)

well...I am choosing...EVERYONE I can remember to name, and it is hard to choose only a few...I love you all! Each one of you are admirable, true, and fill me with inspiration daily!

Gen @ Gen's Bloggidy Blog
5 Star Foodie @ Culinary Adventures
Greg @ Sippity Sup
Joie de vivre @ An Amateur Gourmets Guide
Reeni @ Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice
Tangled Noodle @ In Search of the Why Chow
Alexis @ Running Away? I'll help you pack!
Cheff Bliss @ Cheff Bliss
Mommy @ My Original Recipes
Femin Susan @ Vegetable Art (go take a look she is very creative)
Kendra @ Home Grown Housewife
Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen
Blonde Duck @ A Duck In Her Pond (she has to be Irish to be surrounded my such wee mystical creatures)
John & Lisa Are Eating in South Jersey (they give you lots to do down there!)
-bcgw @ Boy Chef, Girl Wonder (would like to hire her for my photos!)
Dee @ Texas to Mexico & Her daughter,
Horns Fan @ Bytes From Texas
Ricardo @ Opinions & Rectums...we all got one!
Micheal @ Dash of Stash
SoCalPastryChef
Lisa @ Lisa Is Cooking
The Duo Dishes
Tiger @ Pie Of The Tiger
Sarah @ sjgourmet
Elyse @ Elyse's Confectionery Creations
On Line Pastry Chef
Tree House Chef @ Tree House Kitchen

...so many wonderful people here, and wonderful friends that follow my TMI blog about life, love, and loss...

You are suppose to pass on their awards, but I have decided (I break rules often) to just make you all honorary 'Irish Chefs' along with me...and break a blog record...

Spud @ The Daily Spud, I did not forget you! You are a true blood of Irish through and through and one day we will meet on the Emerald Isle and share some good food! She lists a variety of 'Potato Day Spuds' on her blog today that is and always very informative...














IRISH STORY: I ran into Gabriel Byrnes in CA once off the strip while taking a walk, and all I could think of when he looked down at me and smiled was 'Top o' the mornin' to ya', and like an idiot I ran back to the hotel to tell my two clueless boys, and they had to look him up on the computer... I also traveled to Erin back in 2000 and spent three fabulous weeks with a friend, Joyce. We drove all over the south from Dublin, criss crossed, and then in Galway, went back across. What a great trip that was!